At Davis Family Orthodontics, we believe that orthodontic treatments are for everyone, including for adults. Statistics have shown that one in five patients receiving orthodontic treatment over the age of 21. There are many reasons why adults are now choosing orthodontic treatment, and our practice offers a wide range of orthodontic treatment options to help them achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they deserve.
Reasons Why You Should Consider Orthodontic Treatment
Many adults are now considering orthodontic treatment as the best way to care for their oral health, as orthodontics has come a long way in helping patients of all ages receive the treatments they need. Some reasons to consider getting orthodontic treatment include the following:
- A bad bite or malocclusion causes the teeth to fit together improperly
- Crowded or spaced teeth may lead to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- A desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Our Treatment Options For Adults For Orthodontic Treatment
Many adults often shy away from orthodontic treatment because of the common perception that adults can’t receive it, when in fact it is not true! Many advancements have been made to help adults receive the orthodontic treatment they need. Our practice offers a wide range of comfortable, aesthetic orthodontic treatment options that can be customized and adjusted to meet your specific needs, including:
- Clear Braces: Clear braces are made of clear or tooth-colored materials that easily blend in with your teeth. They are considered less noticeable than traditional metal braces and are often used in mild to moderate orthodontic cases.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces are made of clear or tooth-colored materials and work like traditional metal braces. These can be used in most orthodontic cases.
- Self-Litigating Braces: Self-litigating braces work with a specialized clip instead of elastic bands to hold the wire used to align the teeth, require fewer adjustments than traditional braces, and are considered more comfortable.
- Invisalign Braces: Invisalign works through a series of clear, removable, nearly invisible aligners when worn. They can be removed for eating, brushing, and flossing, requiring good compliance to ensure proper results.
- Traditional Metal Braces: Traditional metal braces work with metal brackets and wires and are the most common type of braces. These can be used for all types of orthodontic cases and require regular adjustments to upkeep.
The Difference Between Adult, Teen, and Children Orthodontics
When treating children and teenagers, orthodontists often consider their jawbone development as they are still growing. On the other hand, adults’ jawbones stop growing, requiring advanced techniques such as orthognathic surgery to align them. In many ways, adult orthodontics requires additional treatments and considerations to perform, including:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease): adults are more prone to gum recession or bone loss due to advanced periodontal disease.
- Worn or missing teeth: teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions over time, leading to a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment: many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen but often never completed their treatment.
However, orthodontic treatment can be an excellent tool for improving your oral health, as straighter teeth are easier to clean when flossing and brushing, helps reduce the risk of dental problems, and can boost your self-confidence.
At Davis Family Orthodontics, we understand that adults require different levels of attention and care, and we are committed to providing personalized treatment that meets your needs. Contact us today to learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics and schedule a consultation. Considering your busy schedule, we will work with you to ensure each office visit is as convenient as possible.